There are some things that I am good at. There are other things that I am bad at. There are still other things that are just total time wasters. So, why do I find myself doing time wasting things and things that I am really bad at all the time?
- It is the most convenient thing to do. Usually I find myself doing things that are time wasters because it is convenient. It’s there, right next to me, calling my name, “Stephen, look at Facebook.” I guess I should stop carrying my phone with me everywhere I go!?!
- It is the way we are programmed. From our youth we are told over and over to spend most of our time improving on the things we don’t do as well. If you get a “C” in math and an “A” in Creative Writing the first thing you hear is, “WHY DID YOU GET A “C” in Math?! Now don’t get me wrong, Math is important. You should definitely apply yourself to do your best in everything you do. Sometimes, however, I think it is best to take the things that we are good at, and continue to strengthen them.
- We are afraid to be good. I enjoy doing good projects and being recognized for it. The thing about doing good is that it sets expectations. It makes people expect your good to become better and your better to become best. At some point we become afraid that we can’t meet other people’s expectations. I heard a quote the other day, “Today’s expectations are tomorrow’s resentment”. I disagree with that. There is a difference between expectations and being over bearing. Without expectations, whether on ourself or from others, we will never stretch and get better. It is not the fault of those who have expectations of us when we fail. Besides you only fail when you quit.
Now that I have covered some of the reasons why you do not do what you are best at, I have a challenge.
- Write the one or two things that you are best at and love to do. It does not matter what it is. Whether it is writing, helping others, playing piano, teaching, auto mechanics, or cleaning carpet; write it down.
- Write the reasons why you are not doing those things.
- Leave a comment on this blog, call your mom, brother, best friend, or anyone that can contact you and make a commitment to them. Commit that you will eliminate the reasons you are not doing what you love and are best at one at time, every week until all of your excuses are gone.